|Commander, Patrol Squadron 44. Operation Plan.||June 1, 1942|
|CONFIDENTIAL||June 1, 1942|
1. The flight organizations listed below are effective until
|(a) FLIGHT 58 (Patron 23) -
(b) FLIGHT 55 (Patron 44) -
(c) FLIGHT 91 (6 - Bl7's) -
(d) FLIGHT 93 (9 - Bl7's) -
(e) FLIGHT 85 (12 SB2U's) -
(f) PLIGHT 95 (4 B26's ) -
(g) FLIGHT 88 (6 TBF's) -
(h) MARINE FIGHTERS
(i) FLIGHT 86 (9 SBD's) -
(j) FLIGHT 87 (9 SBD's) -
TAKE OFF FOR OAHU 2 June.
(BOMBERS OFF AT 0430 to Pearl & )
(Hemes Reef, then to MIDWAY, then)
(for 200 miles on 265° T. and re-)
TORPEDOES, 550 mile radius.
" " 300 mile radius.
2. These flight numbers will identify groups in the air or on the
air. The usual calls, SAMPLES:- OV 58 Compatron 23. -- 3V 58 No. 3
plane in V58 Flight and V58 all VP-23 planes apply.
Be alert to decode any despatches received.
3. Frequencies are the same as paragraph 4 of DOCTRINE, i.e.
Army & Navy planes: Primary 4265
Secondary 4325; marine planes voice
3765 until action begins, then shift to 6010 with 7700 as
|Authentication:||Patrol planes use authenticator in force.
Other aircraft use PARIER IN THE DELL.
(Two alternate letters) i.e. RE or EL or NH
If you call any aircraft other than patrol
planes, use PARIER IN THE DELL for authen-
4. In event contact is made by a patrol plane with CV's or Main Body, adjacent planes continue on search for a distance discretionary with patrol plane commander, depending on distance out, fuel aboard and other factors of up to 80 miles, and then head for contact point to obtain additional information. Remaining planes continue search, if all main objectives have not been located. Discontinue search in time to reach ALTERNATVE landing area before dark and with reserve of fuel remaining.
5. Unless other instructions are received by radio the following policy will govern any Patron 44 plane out on search when an air raid is in progress at MIDWAY:
|(a)||If plane is over 500 miles out
Conserve fuel and proceed to lee of LAYSAN, land, refuel
and await instructions.
|(b)||If plane is less than 300 miles out, an air raid is in
progress, or contact with objective has been made within
200 miles of MIDWAY, proceed to LAYSON avoiding scene of
|(c)||The individual Patrol Plane Commander will of necessity be
the final authority on his best retirement procedure, once
the contact has been developed.
|(d)||Alternate landing and fueling areas are at LAYSAN, LISIANSKI,
GARDNER PINNACLES and NECKER ISLAND. A YP should be anchored
in lee of each island with fuel.
6. Guard CW - Voice Frequency receivers for instructions